Frequently Asked Questions

Easily find the answers to your questions on membership, professional development programs, certification and JobConnect!

Due to changes in the Canadian Income Tax Act, the Canadian Payroll Association is now required to collect Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) for the production of T2202 tax forms (which replaces the current T2202A form). Visit the Government of Canada website to learn more.

Your Social Insurance Number is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or access government programs.

Go to the Canadian Payroll Association website On the homepage, click the “Member Centre”, enter your CPA number and password.

If you do not have a password or have forgotten it, on the homepage click on “Member Centre” and click on Forgot password.

It is to the benefit of the student to provide the correct SIN if they want to be able to claim the tuition tax credit.

If they fail to provide their SIN, they could be charged with a $100 penalty. (Section 237 of the ITA).

If you are an international student, and you intend to file a Canadian tax return, you can apply for an Individual Tax Number (ITN) by completing form T1261 Application for a Canada Revenue Agency Individual Tax Number (ITN) for Non-Residents. The ITN must be treated the same way as a SIN

Information on how to apply for a SIN can be found on the Government of Canada’s Employment and Social Development website. The website will provide you with details on eligibility and the documentation you will need in order to apply for a SIN.

A T2202 is a tax form that allows students registered in a qualifying educational program to claim eligible tuition fees and textbook amounts where applicable. This will be replacing the T2202A form.

For confidentiality reason you are required to enter your SIN directly by clicking on the following link,

Complete the SIN form only if you entered the wrong SIN.

If you have enrolled in any courses with a start date of January 1, 2019 you will be prompted to enter your SIN when you click on the T2202A. If we already have your SIN on file, you will not receive a prompt.

You can refer to your income tax return or you can request a confirmation of SIN.

Only Canadian Payroll Association employees that require your SIN to perform their job duties will have access. The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is required to be on the T2002 form as per subsection 237(1) of the Income Tax Act. The Canadian Payroll Association protects and safeguards all personal and private information, including the SIN. The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) sets out ground rules about how private sector organizations may collect, use or disclose personal information. To find out more information please click here.

Yes, students who are non-residents of Canada should provide a SIN if they have one. If you don’t have a SIN and are a non-resident, it’s not required.

Please provide us with your correct SIN by completing and faxing SIN Submission Form.

This site uses cookies. By continuing, you're agreeing to the use of cookies outlined in our Privacy Statement.