This online professional development seminar is designed for accounting and human resource professionals who oversee payroll. It will provide a high-level introduction of the payroll function and participants will learn about processing and reporting requirements, and payroll practitioners' responsibilities specific to government statutory withholding and remittance.
!! IMPORTANT !!
Sound for this online session is streamed directly through your computer or electronic device. Participants will not be provided with a dial-in number.
Please test check your system BEFORE you register. Make sure you are connected via your local desktop (not through your company’s server) to perform this test and view the future presentation. Click here to test your system and for troubleshooting tips.
FACT: 70% OF PAYROLL PROFESSIONALS REPORT THROUGH ACCOUNTING AND 30% THROUGH HR
Source: CPA Skills & Competencies Research Study
This seminar is designed for accounting and human resource professionals who have a functional responsibility to oversee the payroll function but are not actually processing a payroll. It provides an introduction and overview perspective of the payroll function. Participants will learn about processing and reporting requirements, and payroll practitioners' responsibilities with regard to government statutory withholding and remittance.
The curriculum covers the fundamental payroll responsibilities of an employer including:
- Establishing the employee-employer relationship
- Setting up a new employee in payroll
- Basic requirements under employment/labour standards legislation
- Determining which payments and benefits are classified as employment income
- Producing a regular pay and applying the required statutory withholding amounts for Canada or Quebec Pension Plan, Employment Insurance, Quebec Parental Insurance Plan Premiums and income taxes
- Processing irregular payments such as bonuses
- Statutory government remittances
- Handling termination of employment including processing the required payments and issuing the Record of Employment (ROE)
- Year-end reporting overview
Please note that after registering online for this event, you will receive an email confirmation that confirms your registration. Confirmation emails are sent approximately within 2 business days after the registration has been processed.
Three business days before the live event, you will be sent the link to access the online PD seminar on the scheduled day.
Also, detailed instructions on accessing the online PD seminar will be emailed to you on the morning of the event.
Cancellations or Transfers: requests must be received in writing at least four (4) business days prior to the online seminar date. Please note a cancellation fee or transfer fee in the amount of $50 plus applicable taxes will be applied. Cancellation or transfer requests received after the login information has been provided are not eligible for a transfer or refund.