This course is the final core payroll course in the Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) certification program.
For those who want online instruction, the Payroll Fundamentals 2 (PF2) course starts on the 10th of every month. Each online course for the PCP certification is 13 weeks in duration.
Students are required to:
- follow the course outline for each week, which includes participation in the weekly discussion activities
- complete two written assignments
- complete the midterm exam during week 6 and the final exam during week 13 (these dates are NOT flexible)
Payroll Fundamentals 1 and Introduction to Accounting*
*Taking Introduction to Accounting before PF2 is recommended, but not mandatory.
Upon completion of Payroll Fundamentals 2, you will be able to:
- Calculate organizational remittances to federal, provincial and third party stakeholders.
- Prepare accounting documentation for payroll.
- Complete year end documentation.
- Communicate all aspects of organizational remittances, accounting and year end requirements to internal, external and government stakeholders.
The course material will be shipped by FedEx to your preferred mailing address and should arrive within 10 days from the date of your registration. The course login and the course outline will be emailed to your preferred email address 1-2 days before the course start date. If you don't see the emails in your inbox, check your junk/spam folder.
The online access consists of:
- chapter material, quizzes and PowerPoint presentations for each chapter
- tax tables, glossary and resource links
- online pre-test and post-test
- instant feedback on your results for each pre-test, post-test and chapter quiz (Report Page)
- Ask the Instructor tool to ask the online instructor questions by email
The study time a student should expect to spend on the course depends on the student. For example, some students access the online course daily, while other students may choose to access the online course once a week. Students are not required to log into the online course at specific times. However, students must submit their discussion board posts and assignments by the due dates and write the midterm and the final exam within the specified exam periods.
Students are required to register a proctor for their final exam. A proctor is someone who supervises the student's exam and is in a position of authority. The proctor cannot be a personal friend or related to the student by birth or marriage and must have a business email address. If the student is unable to find a proctor, the student may book their exam at an exam centre at a post-secondary institution. The exam must be completed within the time frame stated in the course. Please note, the student is responsible for the proctor fee and/or exam centre fee.
Both an overall grade of 65% and a mark of at least 65% on the final exam are required to pass the course. Grade Reports will be available to access/print approximately two weeks after the official end date for the course. For confidentiality reasons, marks cannot be given by phone, fax or email. Registration closes 10 days prior to the start of each course.
System Requirements: For optimum performance, we recommend using the following browsers to access the course:
For Windows: Microsoft Edge 42 or later, Firefox 61 or later, Chrome 68 or later
For Mac: Safari 12 or later, Firefox 61 or later, Chrome 68 or later
Note: Mobile devices, e.g., smartphones and tablets, cannot be used to access this course.
Cancellation Policy: Students who withdraw within the first three weeks of the term will receive a full refund from the Canadian Payroll Association, less a withdrawal fee of $150.00, plus applicable taxes.
Maximum Course Attempts: Students are permitted a maximum of three attempts at any individual Canadian Payroll Association course. In the event that a student fails a given PCP course three times (through any of the classroom, online or Challenge study options), they will no longer be permitted to register for the course.