To enrol in the CPM program, you must be PCP certified and have two years of related work experience. Before enrolling, submit a Payroll Experience Prerequisite Application and wait for approval from the Canadian Payroll Association.
Once approved, CPM certification then requires two core payroll courses and three transfer of credits.
- Introduction to Payroll Management: Learn what’s required to manage a payroll department, and the tools needed for success.
- Applied Payroll Management: (prerequisite: Introduction to Payroll Management): Perfect your payroll management skills by learning about benchmarking, best practices development, human resources skills and more.
- Managerial Accounting: Transfer your post-secondary course covering financial statements, budget preparation, cost accounting methodologies, variance reporting and more. Search our list of accepted courses.
- Organizational Behaviour Management: Transfer your post-secondary course covering individual and group behaviour, personality, motivation and leadership theory, communication and conflict resolution. Search our list of accepted courses.
- Compensation & Benefits Management: Transfer your post-secondary course covering monetary and non-monetary reward and compensation programs, including incentive plans, profit sharing and employee assistance. Search our list of accepted courses.
To receive and maintain your certification, you must be a member of the Canadian Payroll Association through a Professional membership or the Organization membership of your employer (annual membership fees are required).
In order to achieve a CPM certification, all requirements must be completed within five year timeline. For further details with regards to five year timeline please review the Payroll Experience Prerequisite information.