Register Online Today!
Vancouver - Sept 21
Richmond Hill - Oct 13
|CPA Members - Early-bird (register 14 days prior to seminar date)
$399.00 plus taxes
|CPA Members - Regular:
$449.00 plus taxes
|Non-member - Early-bird (register 14 days prior to seminar date)
$499.00 plus taxes
|Non-member - Regular:
$549.00 plus taxes
For many payroll professionals, the terminations process can be complex. The CPAs Terminations seminar provides you with the tools you need to accurately and confidently administer, supervise and oversee the termination of the employment process. It includes a comprehensive overview of recommended steps, processes and procedures to minimize termination liability and costs as well as legislative requirements for payments upon termination.
This one-day seminar provides you with the tools you need to successfully administer, supervise and oversee a termination of employment.
Register early and save - Early bird rates apply until two weeks prior to the seminar.
For certified members, this seminar counts toward 7.5 hours of continuing professional education
The curriculum covers:
- Overview of current federal and provincial standards related to terminations
- Reducing your organization's liability and costs related to employment terminations by meeting the standards
Human Resources Issues
- Employee-initiated vs. employer-initiated terminations
- How to spot constructive dismissal, just cause
- What is considered reasonable notice under common law?
- Why the need for termination policies?
- Avoiding poor termination techniques
- Understanding the impact of a termination on colleagues
- Dealing with progressive discipline
- Sample termination checklist and recent case law examples
Payments on Termination
- Lieu of notice
- Vacation pay
- Year end reporting
- Pension and group benefits issues
- Employment relationship
- Salary continuance versus retiring allowance
- Request for ruling
- Tax withholdings and transfers
Record of Employment
- When to issue
- How to's of completion
- How to avoid common errors
- ROE Web