An introduction to the core HR function for payroll and other professionals looking to enhance their HR skills. Learn methods, approaches and best practices for everything from recruitment to onboarding, orientation, performance management and remuneration, right through to the termination process.
Your one-day intro to HR
A dynamic, interactive seminar that is designed for payroll professionals who want to build their HR skills toolkit and add further value to their organizations.
As the role of payroll professionals continues to grow and evolve in organizations, a higher level of responsibility for "Human Resources" issues, or the "people-side" of the business, is being expected. Today's payroll professionals are increasingly more involved in a variety of HR activities, either directly or indirectly. To increase your value and contribution to the organization's Payroll/HR team, it is important to understand the role of HR and its impact on the entire organization.
Learn how to:
- Understand the key functions within HR—from recruitment to termination of employment
- Gain a deeper understanding of what is expected from HR
- Learn best practices within business regarding HR policies
- Deal effectively with common employee issues
- Know the key skills required for success and develop your expertise and professionalism
- Ensure compliance with employment legislation to manage risk and exposure
- Help your organization strengthen its HR foundation and contribute to growth
During the seminar, you will learn about proven methods and approaches and receive practical recommendations that can be easily and cost-effectively implemented back on the job. With the information, tools and resources provided, you will be able to develop the skills required for success within HR and play a more valuable role within your organization.
Take home materials include a binder, tools, checklists, templates and case studies.
The CPA's HR Fundamentals for Payroll Professionals curriculum covers:
The Role of Human Resources and Key Skills
- Understanding the responsibilities of HR
- Being "value-added" to the company
- Learning the language and terms of Human Resources
- Accessing online tools and resources
- Dealing with employee concerns and issues
- Communicating change to employees
- Building teamwork and cooperation
HR Policies, Employee Handbooks and Metrics
- Researching and writing job descriptions
- Developing policies and procedures
- Designing an Employee Handbook
- Tracking and using trends in turnover, absenteeism and leaves
Candidate Recruitment and Selection
- Sourcing and attracting candidates
- Conducting job interviews
- Performing reference checks
- Preparing offer letters
- Orienting and inducting new hires
Managing Employee Performance
- Preparing for performance reviews
- Developing employee goals and objectives
- Understanding assessment and rating scales
- Writing disciplinary and performance improvement letters
- Developing employee learning and development plans
Remuneration, Reward and Retention Programs
- Determining compensation packages and incentives
- Marketing the value of benefits to staff
- Motivating and retaining employees
Compliance with Employment Legislation
- Creating compliant employee files
- Understanding Human Rights and Pay Equity
- Determining eligibility for overtime
Ending the Employment Relationship
- Preparing a termination package
- Administering a termination process
- Holding a termination meeting
Your registration includes: seminar presentation, course reference manual and handouts, exercises with answers, continental breakfast, lunch and refreshments for all breaks.
Dress code is business casual. Please dress in layers to accommodate temperature fluctuations.
CANCELLATIONS OR SEMINAR TRANSFER: Requests must be received in writing at least five (5) business days prior to the seminar date. Please note a cancellation fee or transfer fee in the amount of $50 plus applicable taxes per day/per registrant for all sessions cancelled or transferred will apply. Cancellation or transfer requests received less than 5 business days prior to the seminar date are not eligible for transfer or refund.
FOR ANY QUESTIONS or concerns regarding this registration, please contact member services at email@example.com