Pensions & Benefits from a Payroll Perspective
For certified members, this seminar counts toward 7.5 hours of continuing professional education. Click here to find a date and location in your area.
This seminar will introduce individuals to the basic concepts of these complex topics. Participants will gain an understanding of key elements used to apply, administer or support these functions within the organization. This workshop will also benefit payroll practitioners and employees in any benefit-related position whose responsibilities include pension and benefit administration or supervision.
The curriculum covers:
- Introduction & Employer-Sponsored Plans
- Pension plan design and terminology basics
- Common plan types: Defined Benefit, Defined Contribution
- Registered and non-registered plans
- Legislation governing retirement savings plans
- Government Programs
- Basic retirement needs, objectives
- Source of retirement income
- Government role and income security programs
- Calculating & Reporting Pension Values
- The theory behind pension adjustment reporting.
- PA'S, PAR'S, PSPA'S, RRSP limits
- Individual Retirement Savings
- Net replacement ratios
- Pensions issues on the horizon
- Benefit Plans
- Overview of common employer provided benefits
- Types of group health, disability and insurance plans
- Taxing and reporting consideration for benefits
- Benefit issues on the horizon