Register Online Today!
Calgary - July 21
Edmonton - July 22
|CPA Members - Early-bird (register 14 days prior to seminar date)
$399.00 plus taxes
|CPA Members - Regular:
$449.00 plus taxes
|Non-member - Early-bird (register 14 days prior to seminar date)
$639.00 plus taxes
|Non-member - Regular:
$689.00 plus taxes
Advanced Pension Case Studies from a Payroll Perspective
Who should attend:
This is an advanced seminar designed for payroll and pensions/benefits practitioners responsible for the processing and reporting of employee retirement contributions and/or benefits.
Certified payroll professionals automatically receive 7.5 hours added to their continuing professional education (CPE) profile for attending this session.
Goal: You will gain the legislative knowledge needed to keep your organization compliant with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and Revenu Québec (RQ) when it comes to your organization's retirement plan. The fundamentals covered in the CPA's Pensions and Benefits from a Payroll Perspective PDS will briefly be reviewed before analyzing more complex scenarios and completing detailed exercises in the form of case studies.
Why attend this seminar:
- To prepare for real-life examples of what could go wrong regarding enrolments, deductions and reporting within defined benefit and defined contribution pension plans, as well as deferred profit sharing plans and registered retirement savings plans.
- To strengthen an individual's payroll knowledge required to maintain their CPE requirements.
- To promote career development and enhancement
- To network with other payroll and pensions/benefits professionals
Prerequisite/ past experience required:
- Best if the participant has attended the Pensions and Benefits from a Payroll Perspective seminar
- Recommended attendance every 2-3 years to keep up to date with legislative changes
- Brief Introduction of employer-sponsored retirement plans (it is recommended that participants first attend the CPA's Pensions and Benefits from a Payroll Perspective before attending this advanced seminar)
- How to administer missed contributions and over-contributions
- Calculating a Pension Adjustment (PA), Past Service Pension Adjustment (PSPA) and Pension Adjustment Reversal (PAR) in complex situations
- Administering pension limits, payments and reporting requirements for complex situations such as:
- Participating in more than one plan
- Leaves of absence
- Status Indians
- Foreign Pension Plans
- Variable pension benefits
- Death of a pensioner